Based in Toronto, Canada
A 3D Visual Novel about youth developing social movements for the hope of a better future in a despotic metropolis. You play as Chloe, a bio-hacker who comes to her political awakening as she seeks out her friends in a sci-fi surveillance society. Players navigate a dense 3D city that embeds political intrigues and its choices into its very fabric. In this story, you make challenging choices in a city fractured by inequality and intrigue, and shape different factions that are fighting for their livelihoods.
Ever since adolescence, Tanya Kan has dared to dream. For stories that bring about a better world. For stories of hope. Solace State first rose out of a desire to converse about personal roots and identities, in a world where immigration, cultural exchanges, and diaspora are commonplace. Where borders are porous and experienced differently by people, depending on their socioeconomic factors. In 2016, Tanya Kan traveled to examine political development in East Asia, comparing to her experiences at home in North America. Her interview stories inspired and coalesced into the beginnings of a 3D visual novel that highlights character growth, and the formation of strong ties between friends, values, and communities. By world-building a completely original sci-fi society, Tanya presents a tense surveillance state that erodes our freedom of movement and diverse cultural practices. Together with a team of talented specialists and developers, Solace State is gradually flourishing to life. Solace State will be a first commercial product to position Vivid Foundry as a company that encourages an audience brimming with ideas about socially positive movements and advocating for marginalized stories.
- An unconventional, immersive story set in a sci-fi city teeming with biotech growth, focusing on the politics of youth resistance and rebuilding a society
- Unique introspective scenes where you find narrative written upon the 3D space of the urban buildings itself, and "peel back" the walls and object densities to reveal the story
- Fully-fledged characters with handpainted details and handcrafted 3D environments
- Story choices allow you to affect the cultural fabric of the city, and gradually leave your impact on the characters you come in contact with
- A personable cast of characters who come from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, each with unique motivations (and even a touch of romance!)
Solace State First Demo Storytelling Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
There are currently no logos or icons available for Solace State. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Awards & Recognition
- "Toronto Arts Council Grant" Level 1 Award Grants to Media Artists, 2014
- "Different Games 2016" Official Selection
- "Different Games 2017" Official Selection
- "Regent Park Film Festival 2017" Official Selection
- "Ontario Media Development Corporation" Global Market Development Fund (Travel Grant), 2016-2019
- "Ontario Arts Council Grant" Grant to Media Artist Creation Projects, 2018
- "PAX West Indie MEGABOOTH" Official Selection
- "[T]he themes of privacy, security, economic inequality, and technological empowerment should feel hauntingly familiar, timely, almost urgent to anyone who occasionally browses the news."
- Conrad Armenta, Kill Screen
- "Despite its genre, there are no static screens to be found here. These urban spaces are constantly in motion, which aptly reflects the game's narrative and themes of ever-moving perspective and societal change."
- Thomas Faust, Indiegames.com
- "What sets the game apart from others of its kind is how players progress through the story: By making several choices which influence the various social groups in the game. These factions may share the same agenda, but have different stances on how to achieve them."
- Chris Aiken, Black Nerd Problems
- "It looks like an engaging visual-novel experience, and a unique one, given its overt political themes, including such zeitgeist issues as immigration and surveillance."
- DJ Pangburn, Fast Company
- "A cyberpunk game from a marginalized creator that is explicitly trying to tackle some key themes that the best cyberpunk games do[...]; The game is called Solace State. [...]This is a game about power relationships, it's about hegemony. It's worth looking up, it's really cool."
- Austin Walker, EiC of Waypoint, Hidden Gems of PAX West Panel (podcast episode 150, Ward Games)
Tanya Kan's Twitter
General Twitter discussion on art, development, and life twitter.com.
Please visit the devlog for Vivid Foundry for more details! vividfoundry.com.
Tanya Kan's Instagram
More visual representation of Vivid Foundry news, development, and daily life instagram.com.
GIF clip of in-game experience, from PAX West 2018 Solace State build drive.google.com.
About Vivid Foundry
Vivid Foundry Corp. is an interactive arts and independent game development studio founded by Tanya Kan, focusing on storied, atmospheric, and artistic experiences. Vivid Foundry's games explore empathetic and human dramas, cultural change and what makes us unite as diverse communities.
More information on Vivid Foundry, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Solace State Credits
Gabriela Kim Passos
Courtney "Seage" Howlett
2D Character Artist
Composer and Sound Designer